Friday, June 12, 2015

Laura

Reflections on the plane: In prepping for my trip, my dad introduced me to a former student of his, Laura.  She is around my age and spent five months living in Phnom Penh working for Samaritan's Purse. Laura and I talked on the phone for about thirty minutes one Saturday afternoon about her time there.   She transitioned easily between telling me about the under aged beer girls (these young girls wait outside the bars starting around eight dressed like they are ready to compete in a pagent) to how I could get a massage for seven dollars or my nails done for four. I have a feeling this is says more about the city then even Laura realized. My current perception is that these two extremes represent the two different socioeconomic statuses in the city; the wealthy and the impoverished. During my time in PP I will be exposed to both sides. I know that navigating between these two extremes is something I will struggle with for the duration of my time there. I hope I will be able to keep my focus on the positive aspects of the city and its people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment