Wednesday, March 25, 2015

My first visit to REI

Osprey Meridian
Osprey Porter 46


3/25/2015
My first visit to REI
I know, I know, you can’t believe it.  This girl who is about to go spend a month all the way around the world hasn’t even been into an REI!?!? Well, its true.  I don’t backpack or camp.  I hike occasionally in my bright pink Under Amour sneakers and yoga pants. I had a worthy companion as my guide to this strange new world of REI, my friend and Cambodia travel companion Jen.  She is a long-standing REI fan.  In fact, if she had a second job her first choice would be to work there. 
First impressions- its HUGE!! REI is a very large store.  It is well organized into areas of interest; biking, camping, backpacks and luggage, kayaking and water sports etc. 
I was there to look at backpacks for my trip.  Jen had advised me that smaller is better, considering my weak and delicate nature. (Apparently that’s how she described me to the sales associate on her last visit)  Following his suggestion I had been looking online at the Osprey Farpoint  (http://www.rei.com/product/837010/osprey-farpoint-40-travel-pack) and the Osprey Porter (http://www.rei.com/product/870903/osprey-porter-46-travel-pack ).  They did not have either item in store for me to try.  In store I gravitated toward the Osprey Meridian Wheeled Convertible (http://www.rei.com/product/837018/osprey-meridian-wheeled-convertible-luggage-22 ).  Come on girls, who doesn’t like a convertible?  Two things in one! Backpack by day, wheeled luggage by night. It also held 60 L as opposed to the 40-46L of the other two packs and had a detachable smaller day pack. Great for the over packer in me!  Sadly, this bag came with two unwanted extras, extra weight and extra money.  I was not comfortable with $329.95 price tag, over twice the price of the bags I had looked at online.  With he Meridian on my back, we were greeted by an enthusiastic salesman who spent about 15 minutes with us comparing the Meridian to the REI Stratocrusier (a less expensive similar option). (http://www.rei.com/product/870109/rei-stratocruiser-wheeled-backpack-22) I liked the thicker belt of the Meridian. I have big hips, always have.  In high school my boyfriend’s mother called them “birthing hips” while I was in my prom dress.  IN MY PROM DRESS!!! Today I proudly call my “birthing hips” “backpacking hips” in the hope that they will help me carry my presumably heavy pack this summer. Stratocrusier, Farpoint or Porter? Decisions, decisions!! So much to think about!
Next stop, antibacterial underwear.  Yes, that’s a thing.  Jen survived the Camino de Santiago on two pairs, washing them out in the sink each night.  First, they are not cute.  There was nothing cute about them.  When I pointed this out to Jen, she joked that perhaps the ugly underwear would help prevent me from entering the Cambodian sex trafficking trade. Thanks Jen, thanks for looking out for me. The benefits of course were they are quick drying, moisture wicking and have an antibacterial treatment to prevent odor.  Sexy, right? Sadly, they were out of my size.
We spent the remainder of our time looking through clothes and picking up things for Jen’s upcoming weeklong backpacking trip.  I left empty handed, feeling overwhelmed but excited.  How much of this stuff do I need?  Convertible, breathable hiking pants?  What about a quick dry towel?  Do I need a rain cover for my backpack? What about a lighter rain jacket?  Mine is probably too heavy for the heat and humidity that is south east Asia.  One thing at a time, first I need to choose the pack.  When I arrived home I joined the REI club and ordered the Porter and a pair of undies ($156.88).  REI has a fantastic return policy, so if this bag is not the one I won’t be out the cash. Why join the club?  Well, the club cost $20 to join and they were offering a $20 coupon if you joined the club and made a purchase over $100 so I say “Why not!!”

Total-$2295.58

No comments:

Post a Comment