Monday, May 18, 2015

Vaccinations





5/18/2015
Vaccinations
I received a preparation booklet from Ubelong.  In it, they included a list of vaccinations that they suggested. 
Routine immunizations for polio, measles/mumps/rubella, etc.
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Rabies
Tetanus
Typhoid
Yellow fever
Japanese encephalitis

I’ve spent hours surfing the Internet and making phone calls to health clinics, drug stores and my insurance company in the past month.  The following is a summary of my research and experience. This is true information as far as I know it.  Your insurance may be different than mine. All of the costs listed are for Passport Health Clinic. PHC, and many other agencies like them, will not file with insurance so I got all of the vaccinations somewhere else.  Sadly, many doctor’s offices do not provide some of the more obscure vaccinations.
Routine Immunizations for polio, measles, mumps, rubella- These vaccinations are 100% covered by my insurance. Although I have already had them
Hepatitis A- $105 (PHC) I have already had it.
Hepatitis B- This vaccine is a series of three shots. It is 100% covered by my insurance. However, I have already had it.
Rabies- $325 (PHC) per shot in a 3 shot series.  I am going to forgo this one since I am not working directly with animals.  I plan on getting travel insurance, so if an emergency arises I can easily get to Bankbook within 24 hrs to be cared for.
Tetanus- $75(PHC)
Typhoid- $100-103(PHC) I opted for the pill version.  There are four pills that you take every other day. The pill is a live vaccine that requires a booster after five years.  The shot is a killed vaccine that requires a booster after two years. I found this instructional graphic helpful. http://www.passporthealthusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Oral-Typhoid-Vaccine-Instructions.pdf?139caa
Yellow fever- $172(PH) If you are entering Cambodia from a country that suffers from yellow fever you have to present a yellow card when entering the country to show you have been vaccinated.  Since I am coming from the US I don’t need this one
Malaria- priced per pills- These pills are taken daily starting before you leave and continue during the trip and after you return. Given the many side effects of antimalarials, I have decided to forgo them. Here is a table comparing the antimalarial options. http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/drugs.html
Japanese encephalitis- $304 (PHC) per shot in a two shot series – Shots should be given 28 days apart and the last shot should be given at least 10 days before leaving the country.  I found this vaccination to be the most difficult to find.  There is one Walgreens in the area that will order and administer the vaccination if you have a prescription from a doctor.

I went to see a general practitioner on April 15, 2015. There I received a Tetanus shot and a prescription for the Japanese Encephalitis vaccination, Typhoid pills and Malaria pills. After insurance I was charged $218.61 for the visit. When I went for my first Japanese Encephalitis vaccination I was elated when they charged me $0!!! The Typhoid vaccination was also covered by my insurance. The malaria pills were very expensive, just under $300 for a month supply. I opted not to get the malaria pills after speaking with family and friends who had very serious reactions (hallucinations, night terrors etc.) to this medication. I got the last of my Japanese Encephalitis series today! I proudly declare; I am fully vaccinated!


Total-$2694.51

No comments:

Post a Comment